Saturday, September 22, 2007

I'd like to say that I'm an original home decorator... but the truth is that I "borrow" a lot of my ideas. Right now I don't think I even have any idea generating power. Chasing after a one year old all day while trying to keep the schedules of four other people straight will do that to you. My desk near the kitchen has become a command center of sorts. I actually don't know if I could manage without having my computer calendar within 5 steps of me at all times. This is one of the main reasons that we decided to set up our desk in the main part of the house rather than our bedroom... that and the fact that there is no way we could have fit our desk in there. I say OUR desk... but over the past 10 months it has really become MY desk. I do the bills, schedules, and coordination of different Joe's stuff... so I have kind of taken over. Every couple weeks Dan asks if there is any way we can set up some sort of table in our room so he can have some office space of his own (where he can also be alone). My answer has always been no because there really is NO room. That was until a couple days ago when I got my nifty new trial issue of Domino magazine (thanks to Audrey, Julie, and Rebecca for telling me about it). Domino is like Real Simple... except it really is simple and affordable. Here is one of the first pictures I saw:


I couldn't believe it... an office in a closet! Dan was excited to try it out... so today we spent a lot of time organizing our clothes so that we could fit the clothes we actually wear into one side of our closet. Everything that we haven't worn in the last two weeks went into tubs that fit under our bed. Later in the afternoon we stopped by an Antique Store around the corner from our house and found an amazing deal on a matching desk and chair. The really amazing part is that you can leave the chair in the closet and still open and close both doors with no problem at all.

View from the hallway:

View from the bathroom:

Dan's new office:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Nice job Alyssa. Domino has become my favorite decorating mag- the ideas are fairly easy to make your own and affordable.
Julie

Anonymous said...

What a clever idea and what a good find at the antique store. It looks great!

Morgan said...

Hi Alyssa! Dan's "office" looks great! I love Domino magazine (I especially love Lucky, that's how I heard about it), but I've never actually tried anything in there. Hmmm, maybe I should...

Shannon said...

That is great! I got that same issue of domino and ordered it, I'm really excited!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I love Domino! Another good magazine is Blueprint (by Martha Stewart....)

Anonymous said...

How about a comment for Mr. Blue Eyes?

Audrey Woita said...

Nice work, Alyssa!
Love the office in a closet. I can't believe how good it looks. Now, I"m inspired to put away all the clothes I haven't worn for 2 weeks. Am glad that you are a Domino-Doll! Isn't it the best?

Anonymous said...

Danny,
you are so shi-shi, a true california trend-setter! Now, every real man at Crossroads will want an office in their closet. I just read in the paper about the shortage of Toyata SUVs in the city...

closetenvy