Monday, March 10, 2008

Sweet yesterday...

Our time with Daddy always goes by too quickly. I think it's especially hard now since he's started classes up again. We did have a great day yesterday... when Carter finally woke up from his nap. He's been taking 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hour naps every day. I do have to say that I think the long naps have something to do with our two guys starting sports up again last week (that and the fact that his Daddy loves to sleep). They now stay after school for baseball and track instead of coming home with all of that high school energy. I don't think it was a coincidence that Carter would wake up around the time that they got home every day. Those naps are great on the weekdays but hard on the weekends when we love to get out.

We ended up walking down to our library after Carter woke up yesterday. We are so spoiled by our location. The library is about 7 doors down from our house (right next door to the high school and middle school). Don't ask me why we haven't actually been inside the library for several months. I will tell you that it's pretty awesome. It has a fireplace and the basement has fun toys and puzzles.


Lastly, here is a picture of a cake Fred and I made from scratch last night. We spent 2 1/2 hours on it and it turned out awful. We made everyone try a piece of it... but most of it ended up in the trash. Does anyone have a good cake recipe that doesn't require beating the eggs in a bowl sitting in a pan of hot water?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

What kind of cake? Chocolate cake? Cake with fruit on top (Upside down) or just plian white cake?
I can give you LOADS, easy as one-two-three, all from scratch...
Jessica

Kate said...

I decided a while back that most of the basic cakes I made from scratch were pretty bad. So, I almost always use box mixes. Then I make fantastic homemade frostings! I have a great Semi-Homemade style Sherry Cake that will knock your socks off:

1 yellow cake mix
1 package of instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup dry sherry
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon nutmeg
4 eggs

beat for 4 minutes (very important)
pour into a greased bundt pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. This cake is amazing, especially with vanilla ice cream and fresh raspberries.

Bret and Beverly said...

Whenever I want to make a cake from scratch, I use this recipe from one of Bret's mom's books. It's always turned out great for me- the most time consuming part is melting the chocolate. It's called Wellesley Fudge Cake:

4 squares Bakers unsweetened choc
1/2 c. water
1 3/4 c sugar
1 2/3 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 c butter
3 eggs
3/4 c milk
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Melt choc in water in saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Add 1/2 c of the sugar, and stir 2 more minutes over low heat. Cool. Mix flour, soda, & salt. Cream butter; gradually beat in remaining 1 1/4 c sugar & continue beating til light & fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time. Alternately add flour mixture & milk, beating after each addition until smooth. Blend in vanilla & chocolate mixture. Bake 30-35 min for 2 9" pans. It's yummy!