Saturday, January 12, 2008

Things are finally starting to slow down and get back to normal. I don't think we're really ready for normal to be back yet... but it is. My Mom and Dad were here for the first week of January. We had a really great time. I'll have to post pictures of that later... but I wanted to do a post about Joe's Place before I do anything else.

We just passed the 1 year mark of when our first student moved in. So much happened in that year that I can't really decide if it went by slow or fast... but it went leaving us with a ton of memories. Our friends here know that sometimes it's hard for me to talk about these guys without tears coming to my eyes. They have added to our family in a way that we never could have imagined. In the past year we have also seen how a community can really come together to care for each other. At the beginning of December our church held their Christmas Women's Fellowship here at our house. A lot of people brought gift cards that night so we could buy gifts for the guys. We were blown away by how many there were. We had so much fun shopping and even more fun watching them open their gifts on Christmas day. Another woman in the community bought a TV for Joe's Place as a Christmas gift for her brother who used to work in the school district. Another huge thing is the meals that we get twice a week. Every Tuesday and Thursday a meal is dropped off from a restaurant, church, or family. We eat like Kings and Queens because of these meals. I had to take a picture of the meal we got on Thursday...


It was like having Christmas dinner all over again.

We thank the Lord for this place we are at now... for the relationships that we get to build with these guys.

I just have to share one more story. For my birthday this week Steven insisted that he make me a birthday breakfast. I kind of laughed because I know him well enough now to know that he doesn't get up when his alarm goes off. I was wrong. I woke up to a beautifully decorated plate of crepes, my coffee fixed exactly how I like it, and a full glass of orange juice.

I can't think of a better way to have started my day.

1 comment:

Rebecca Manor said...

Alyssa and Dan,
I can't think of better house parents then the two of you! You have blessed me with relating the stories of your first year at Joe's Place and I'm praying that this year is even more full of blessing.

-Rebecca M