Monday, November 17, 2008

My husband is an AMAZING cook. And by amazing I mean that after almost 7 years of marriage he has done the majority of our cooking... and it's good... really good. I have started to take on more of that role in the last year because the poor guy just does not have time... and surprisingly I've really started to enjoy it. The one thing I have not taken on is the grill. He is by far the master griller... and his meat is one of the few things that all four of our boys will eat (and say is good). So... tonight Dan and I had a meeting at 6pm. It's pretty much the worst time for both of us to leave the house. It's right around Carter's bedtime, it's dinner time, and the guys are usually starting to arrive at the house from practice and different things. Knowing we wouldn't be here for dinner and the guys would be here with someone new I picked the easiest dinner possible... burgers. Of course I was just thinking BBQ sauce... but apparently this is what Dan was thinking...

6 burgers combined with blue cheese and rolled in peppercorn and 6 burgers with his special seasoning... amazing! Too bad we weren't there to eat it...

I also wanted to post this picture of Fred and J tonight for a couple reasons. First because they were joking around and I realized that their shirts kind of matched and they were holding their beloved cell phones in the same hands (yes Fred's shirt does say State Prison and yes I have gone to the store with him while he was wearing that shirt... that's a story for another time) and secondly because of Carter tonight. I tried to put him down an hour early so the sitter wouldn't have to worry about him and 4 teenagers... but of course my plan backfired. He cried for the first time in months when I put him to bed and then not so surprisingly got out of bed about 30 minutes after we left. In the middle of our meeting I got a text message from Fred asking if Carter could have some milk. I said sure but to make sure he was back in bed by 7pm. So... Fred brought Carter downstairs, got him some milk, played trucks with him, gave him a 5 minute warning and then put him back to bed with NO problem! I love that Carter has hardly known a day without Fred or Steven and that our starting high school running back can put our child to bed with no problem. I love that Carter is growing up in this place... I know that it will shape him in such an incredible way. What an amazing gift it is to be here... even though it's not always so easy.

3 comments:

Amy said...

What an amazing gift for these BOYS to get to experience Carter. They've got to be learning so many cool things about selflessness, responsibility and empathy.

kp said...

okay - this is not inspired, but I thought those were cookies until I read otherwise. I'm sure they were yummy - but I was mouthwatering for cookies rolled in nuts. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

So tender!!

And yes, I thought those were cookies too :)