Thursday, February 12, 2009

Our tough boy...

Alright, so Carter had this pyramid shaped glass shard in the top of his foot for a week. Alyssa and I thought he had a bad scrape that might be getting infected (he had been limping some and complained occasionally when we put on his shoes) so I did some close inspection and saw some of the glass fragment in the grossness. The only part showing was the thin tip above the pen point. The rest was lodged straight down in the kiddos foot. Alyssa had me watch four episodes of Grey's Anatomy, I sent Steven to Walmart for neosporin, I braced myself with a shot of whiskey, Alyssa boiled water, then gathered rags and I performed surgery on Carter's foot. Well not surgery, but missionary surgery using tweezers first. The tweezers kept slipping and I was afraid of crushing and grinding up the shard, so on Alyssa's suggestion I used q-tips using a motion perfected by eating sushi and was able to pull and pry the fragment out of Carter's foot. Meanwhile, Carter lay back with his paci and blankie and then asked to see what was happening. He watched the whole operation with only the slightest wimper. Our boy is a tough little cookie.

3 comments:

homesweetidahome said...

OUCH!!! Please give him a hug from his Aunt and Uncle. That sounded more like MASH than Grey's!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of your medical abilities and trust Carter's little foot heals quickly.

sbh said...

oh.my.gosh. that is awesomely horrible and horribly awesome.