Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I've been sort of hesitant about doing a "potty" post... but since this is my main way of documenting our lives... I just couldn't leave it out. So... here it goes:

This summer we drove 7500 miles. Carter was a ROCK STAR in many ways. He hardly cried, didn't watch movies (except for a few on the way out to CA), loved looking out the window and asked us to stop at gas stations when he needed to go #2 (in his diaper). He did the same thing on our trip to Colorado and back over Christmas. He also had completely dry diapers when he woke up from his nap and bedtime (which I've heard is a sign that a child is ready to potty train). At the beginning of January we decided to give it a go. After the first day he was hardly having accidents and since then has not worn pull-ups at nap time or bedtime. We have been officially done with any sort of diaper for the last 5 1/2 weeks (minus a day here and there). The only minor problem we have had with the whole potty situation has been going #2. He would sit for an hour at a time on the toilet... but had only made it in once. I thought I was going to lose my mind. I won't go into detail... but lets just say we did a lot of laundry. We offered every sort of reward possible and have had a box of match box cars sitting on top of the dryer for the last month and a half hoping the thought of a new car would be all the encouragement he needed. Nope! On Tuesday I was at the point of calling our Pediatrician. I didn't... but was close. Anyway, Tuesday morning we stopped by the Pre-School Carter will hopefully be attending in the Fall to pick up his paperwork (that's a post for another time... but you can check out what my good friend Kristin wrote about it here). He was so excited that he didn't want to leave (and we were only in the office). When I finally got him out to the car I explained to him that he has to be able to go poop in the potty to go to that school... and that it's a big boy school and none of the kids wear diapers. It suddenly clicked! He came right home and went poop... and has gone 8 more times since then. We are so excited! The only hard part was trying to explain to him why he couldn't go to school right then. He cried and cried and asked to go meet his "big boy" teacher. He finally calmed down and settled on an awesome crane out of his truck box. Way to go, Carter!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would hate to have a picture of me on the internet with my pants down!

Amy said...

What a smart boy! Way to go Carter!

Anonymous said...

We are so proud of our "big boy"!!!!